Sunday, September 1, 2013

Color Week

The last week of August we have Color Week in Kindergarten. Everyday we wear a different color. I send home a note to the parents the week before so we can all wear the color of the day.
For color week we read a lot of books and sing all the color songs. Some of my favorite books for color week are:
1. White Rabbit's Color Book by Alan Baker (We retell this story using a felt board.)
2. Dr. Seuss' My Many Colored Days
3. Dog's Colorful Day by Emma Dodd
4. Purple, Green and Yellow by Robert Munsch (Kids LOVE this book!)
5. Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh

We do color mixing during the week. Of course we are learning to name the colors, but my students always think it's magic to make new colors. I use a page of out The Mailbox's Superbook Kindergarten for my experiment.
 We color the first and second steps with crayons. Then we use tempera paint for the mixing part.
Another activity we do is a Fruit Loop color sort. Here is the mat we use: Fruit Loop Sort

The students will color the mat with their crayons first. (I recommend underlining each color word with their correct color to help the kids do this right.) Then we get a cup of Fruit Loops and sort them on our mat. After we sort we get to eat them!


And of course we color a rainbow. The kids do such a great job on this easy project, but I do recommend underlining the color words with the correct color. I am not trying to test their ability to read color words. I am trying to get them to match colors.
Color Week is a lot of fun!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm going to use the froot loop sort & rainbow pages for a St. Patty's day activity tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I needed, a plain old rainbow with all the colors I need for testing, and with a St. Patrick's Day theme. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MANY THANKS!!! I USED THE RAINBOW TEMPLATE WITH MY GRANDDAUGHTER. RAINBOWS ALWAYS MAKE US SMILE! BE SAFE & HEALTHY!

    ReplyDelete

09 10 01 09 10