Wednesday, July 1, 2020

I love Reading!

I love to read! This week's Mrs. B's Reading Room is all about reading...meaning we are reading about reading! So many kids have negative connotations about reading. This is usually due to reading being difficult, or reading considered as a chore. We need to motivate our kiddos to read for pleasure. And that means we can't grade every book they read. We can't tell them every mistake or pick out ONLY books we think are best. They need to explore. Autonomy is everything for most people. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. What you can do it encourage, model, help them find the most interesting books!
When I was a kid I loved going to the library. It was always fun to be able to pick out any book I want. I can still remember the smell! And, being a child of the 80s, I was totally into the Book It! Program. Anyone remember that? You got a free pizza or a prize after reading so many books. And you got a button sometimes!

Of course, with Covid-19 our kids can't go into a library right now. But, they can still check out books. My kids are working on Battle of the Books reading this summer. I request the book from the library and schedule a time to pick it up. Hopefully we can encourage more kids to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 01 09 10